Logo

Evinrude 3HP Model 3034 Serial number 10387

ko4nrbs

Regular Contributor
"It has J8J spark plugs in it.

"It has J8J spark plugs in it. Are they correct? Is the gap .030"?

Can the lever for slow and fast speed be adjusted in between to vary speed or does it have to be right on the mark?
Thank you,
Bill"

"The proper spark plugs for th

"The proper spark plugs for that engine are Champion J4C or J6C plugs, gapped at .030 . The J6C may give a slightly increase in performance so try both.

The J8J is hot enough to melt a piston. Do not use the J8J plug.

The slow/fast lever is never right on the mark. Possibly I'm not fully understanding the question."

"Bill, with regards to your sl

"Bill, with regards to your slow-fast.. Are you talking about the throttle? (my little 2.5 horse has a slide to operate the throttle - you don't twist the tiller)"

"I figured it out while I ran

"I figured it out while I ran it in a barrel. So I slide the lever to adjust engine speed, Thank You.

Where do the bulk of the cooling water discharge, i.e. below the water level with the exhaust? There is some slots above the water level that spit out water. How much should I be seeing?
Bill"

I did put new J4C plugs in it

I did put new J4C plugs in it with a .030" gap. It starts and runs very well. Not bad for being 47 years old!!
Bill

"Bill, the cooling water retur

"Bill, the cooling water returning from the powerhead exits down the exhaust leg and most of it goes out with the exhaust down near the prop (just above it).

Those holes on the back of the leg, a few inches down from the lower part of the powerhead are (indicator) holes so that you can observe that the waterpump is in fact working.

Yours are probably just a series of small holes - in later models they put a cover over it. As long as you can see some water exiting there, things should be fine.

On some models, such as my 2.5 horse there is also a small hole at the very top of the exhaust housing where it mates with the powerhead. The water from this one kinda just runs down the outside of the leg. I usually check this one with a finger to test the temperature (which should feel warm, but not hot)...

You could do that with the ones on the back if you don't mind hanging over the back of the boat with the motor running
"

Back