Logo

COIL WIRE NOT HOT

jtf

"WE HAVE POWER TO THE STARTER

"WE HAVE POWER TO THE STARTER BUT NOT TO THE IGNITON COIL WE PUT A NEW COIL,BATTERYS POINT,PLUGS,IGNITION SWITCH AND IT WILL NOT START WE HAVE V4 140 1984 SEARAY MERCRUISER INBOARD CAN YOU HELP ME WHAT COULD BE WRONG WITH IT THANK YOU TOM"

if we run a hot wire to the st

if we run a hot wire to the stater from the battery side to the coil it will start

"Get a Testlight,+ Follow

"Get a Testlight,+ Follow the Power.........

You've either wired it Wrong,......
Or,......
Have a Broken Wire......"

"the ballast resistor is norma

"the ballast resistor is normally near the coil but it can be anywhere between the coil and ignition switch. you may have a coil with a built in resistor, but you need to find out, trace the wire from the ignition switch to the coil and you will find it if you have one, it is a rectangle white block with a coil of wire on the back of it, sometimes they are round but most are rectangle"

"if that does not help, run a

"if that does not help, run a new wire from the ign switch to the coil, have you checked that there is power at the ign terminal on the new switch, in case you have a blown ign fuse."

we run a new wire from the coi

we run a new wire from the coil to the ign and it start right do we need to run a new ballast resistor at all thank you

"find out what coil you have ,

"find out what coil you have , high resistance coils do not use a ballast resistor, low resistance do. for example a bosch gt40 coil does not use one but a bosch gt40r does. go to your local auto parts store and ask for a coil that does not need one. the bosch gt40 is an excellent choice and not very expensive."

"sorry i forgot to answer your

"sorry i forgot to answer your question, yes you do need resistance, it cuts the voltage to 9 volts to supply the coil with a spike free supply which prolongs coil life ."

Back