Logo

1970 95 hp stuck lower unit

harwichrob

"Help! I'm replacing the i

"Help! I'm replacing the impeller on my 9.5 hp 1970 Johnson. Per the shop manual I removed the four lower unit bolts and the shift rod connector screw, but the lower unit won't budge. I even stood on the cavitation plate -- nada.

Am I missing something? How can I get this baby loose?

Thanks, Rob"

"Uh Oh! I pulled the thing loo

"Uh Oh! I pulled the thing loose, but the drive shaft released from the lower unit -- not the power head. Um. Is that good or bad? What now?"

"No big deal really, you just

"No big deal really, you just need to pull the driveshaft out of the crankshaft.Hope that the crankshaft spline is still good and reassemble."

Thanks! Any advice on how to g

Thanks! Any advice on how to get the pinion gear back on the driveshaft without disassembling the lower unit?

"It should slide back in (

"It should slide back in ( you need some patience ), holding the unit upside down may help"

"I just finished the exact sam

"I just finished the exact same job, same engine.
I had a hell of a time getting the lower unit off also. The drive shaft should just slide back in the lower unit and when you turn it clockwise the prop shaft will spin and you know you're in. Have you gotten the water pump housing off yet? mine broke off all 4 screws and had to be retapped. It really sucked. I did get it all back together and she pumps like a champ."

"Thanks, Steve!

The water p

"Thanks, Steve!

The water pump housing came off just fine, but I can't get the drive shaft out of the engine. It's frozen up at the crankshaft end. Did you have this problem? When you reconnected the lower unit, did you have to replace the seals?

Thanks for the advice."

Back