Logo

Year of old Mercury

D

Danny Jones

I have a serial number (34

I have a serial number (3432154) from a 20 hp Mercury Thunderbolt. Wonder what year it was manufactured? Thanks

"Danny, that's not old [im

"Danny, that's not old
Just a little experienced...

It's a 1972 model 200 with a Thunderbolt II ignition (still has points/condenser)..."

"Thanks Graham, My 1st outboa

"Thanks Graham, My 1st outboard. I'm purchasing it from a friend. I have got replace the wiring harness. But the little motor has not been used much and the prop has very little wear. $150, good or bad?"

"Danny, that's a very good

"Danny, that's a very good price for that vintage.

The 20 is quite a popular motor and even one like this which is 35 years old routinely sells in the 500 dollar range.

It can be a challenge to find "major parts" since most have been discontinued by Merc, however regular tune-up/maintenance items are still readily available from a number of sources.

Additionally, because these are/were popular there is a healty "used" part market out there..."

"Hi Guys, just bought an old g

"Hi Guys, just bought an old glastron with a mer.800 motor(ser.# 2666241). The motor runs great, so my son wants to put it on his boat and use it.
Could you tell me what year the motor is, and how to best dissconnect the shift cables in order to move it to the other boat? Also, anything in particular to be carefull of with this motor? Thanks,
John"

"John, you should have posted

"John, you should have posted as a new topic or your question could have got missed - no matter though

It's an older one - a 1969 model 800, 80 horse.

I assume you want to disconnect at the motor end?

If so, the cables will simply snap off. I'll post a pic of a later model (cable ends are red in this version, yours may be black), your cables may be in a different location or not even co-located, but will show the end/clip that I will refer to.

You just locate the ends of the cables, they are usually "clipped on" at their extrememe end. Once the clip is removed the end pulls back towards you (off of the pin it is mounted on).

Also undo or remove any other (clips/snaps/mounts) that guides or holds the cable in the engine cowling then just remove them....

84253.jpg

Clip removed.....

84254.jpg
"

Back