Logo

High Speed Temp Alarm

rkmorganjr

"Any suggestions would be grea

"Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have twin 1999 Johnson Ocean Pro 150's. Recently, when running at above 5,000 rpm the temperature alarm goes off on the port engine. The engine runs great with no alarms below 5,000 rpm's. Had technician go through the engine and found nothing, temparature seems fine. Any ideas?"

"I recently had the same probl

"I recently had the same problem with a 1997 90 hp evinrude ocean pro. Low rpm's fine and over 4000 rpm's temp alarm. I changed impeller, water pump, and t-stats and still did not solve the problem. After weeks of troubleshooting it ended up being a sensor. My suggestion would be to test your sensor's provided you have the right equipment to do so if not you can have them checked by a mechanic. A change of a sensor is very easy probably less than 5 minutes to complete the job (at least on my motor it is) but your motors should be very similar. Good luck"

I just thought of another way

I just thought of another way to test your sensor's. Just simply unplug a sensor one at a time and run your boat. If the alarm goes off plug that sensor back in and unplug the other one and try again. If the alarm does not go off you found your problem

"Hi....Try this: Run the moto

"Hi....Try this: Run the motors until the alarm goes off..stop, remover the cover, and trying feeling the heads with your hands...should be good and warm, but able to keep hands on the heads...if not, or one is hotter then the other, you may have a circulation problem...Post back and let us know what you find......."

"Found the sensors, they each

"Found the sensors, they each have a tan/blue lead, but one has a white/black lead also. Is this a warm up sensor...and if so what is the operating temperature?"

Back