Logo

AQ140a Sea Water Pump Source of the best rebuild kit

followingsea

Regular Contributor
"I'm rebuilding the little

"I'm rebuilding the little brass sea water pump on the front of my AQ140a.

I don't want just the impeller and gasket--I want to make it like new with new bearings, bushing, seals or whatever else it needs plus the impeller and gaskets.

Does anyone know a good source for a complete kit? OR can I find the pump bearings separately at a local bearing supplier?

I've never opened one of these pumps up so I'm not sure of part numbers or what's needed.

P.S. Any secrets to rebuilding this little pump? Is looks pretty simple."

"Check this link, it is the sa

"Check this link, it is the same pump as the one you have.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/82219.shtml

No secrets (and if there were and I told you, they wouldn't be "secrets" anymore
biggrin.gif
)."

"You probably should get the S

"You probably should get the Sierra kit. Make sure the kit, whatever type, has the rear seal, front gasket, impeller, key, screws, swash plate & plain bearings. Don't forget to purchase NEW Volvo rubber seals for the pipes and a new cross piece. The bearings are removed/replaced using a small hammer and socket. Be careful of the soft brass housing. The AQ140 has a serious defect allowing leakage from the rear seal to drip on the expensive cog wheels. Examine the front plate on which the pump is mounted. Modify or replace the mounting plate to look like the plate found on late models such as the 250."

"Also, take a look at the SS s

"Also, take a look at the SS shaft. If it is not smooth where it passes through the rear seal it will need replacing. Normally, the popular Sierra pump rebuild kit contains a shaft."

Thanks Dennis V. I really appr

Thanks Dennis V. I really appreciate the good insight and info..

You don't happen to have a photo of one of those plate modifications do you?

"Dennis K, thanks for the comp

"Dennis K, thanks for the compliment. I forgot to add that the procedure for rebuilding your particular pump is described in detail in the Seloc manual."

"E.P.,

You're welcome.

"E.P.,

You're welcome. I only have the Clymer manual. I got a really good deal on a used one--now I know why ;) Apparently the SELOC manual has much better detail.

About time for me to buy a SELOC manual."

"E.P.,

Yes. I'll pick u

"E.P.,

Yes. I'll pick up a SELOC manual--what's a few more bucks when it comes to Volvo Pentas and boats. ;)

I saw an older guy cruising around the leeward sides of some small islands up in the San Juans a few weeks ago. He had a little Zodiac Inflatable and a nearly new 15hp, 4-stroke Yamaha. Now that's simplicity and economy!

I THINK THAT GUY HAD ACHIEVED ENLIGHTENMENT!

Most of us who own older VP's must have a higher threshold of pain when it comes to working on boats, motors and outdrive! ...but I digress."

Back