Logo

Can a vro fuel pump be rebuilt

buzzbait00

"I've got a 90 model Johns

"I've got a 90 model Johnson 120.Ok.I've been searching through here for an hour or so and think I have narrowed my problem doun to the vro fuel pump.If you pump the bulb it runs fine.If not it bucks up and doun and wont get on plain unless you start hitting the choke.Drained the tank,put new fuel in,removed the anti-siphon valve,pluged the vro side of pump,replace the fuel lines,filter and pick up tube.
Im thinking its the vro fuel pump.Sound right?How can you test a vro pump?If its the pump I've read on here were some say you CAN rebuild one and some say you CAN'T.So If you CAN!How do you do it?What parts and were can you get them?

THANKS,
Buzz!"

I have seen rebuit kits on e-b

I have seen rebuit kits on e-bay they can be rebuilt I rebuild mying on a 1996 90hp johnson get a good johnson repair manual and it will tell you how to check it you will need a vacum pump and it is quite easy if you are mechanically orentated. I would do a vacum test on it first to make sure it is pump

"You can rebuild it,vro/OMS re

"You can rebuild it,vro/OMS rebuild kits are avail......HOWEVER-- I dont recommend it....in the last month,i have replaced 2 vro pumps,Both,with a housing problem,and one was overoiling extremely,the other had cracks,on the vacuum side...i feel its best to replace the whole thing....they are 335.00 right now.All kinds of tests need to be done before,and esp,after replacement."

I have a question given persis

I have a question given persistent VRO problems... why not just take if off line and add oil directly to the fuel? My mechanic say "VRO" is short for "very risky oiler"....
What's the down side to taking the VRO off line?

when I bought my boat(used

when I bought my boat(used)it is a 1996 with 90hp johnson the VRO pump was disconnected and was premixed motor had 200 hr on it.I had to decarbon motor because it was so carbon up I rebuilt vro pump because I found it had a torn fuel pump diafram and rehook it up motor now runs great I believe when you premix you are going to carbon motor up bad unless you are running wide open all the time it was designed to be run with VRO If you are worried about failure carry a gallon of oil on board and if alarm goes of pr-mix to get home

Back