Logo

Volvo AQ140A

geoff_from_vh

"I'm a newcomer to the sit

"I'm a newcomer to the site. I have an AQ140A that the previous owner spent quite a bit of money on recently. The fly in the ointment is the cylinder head, which is cracked and (I assume) not repairable. Are replacement parts available? I have been reading in the archives and one point of view is that I would be throwing good money after bad and should repower. On the other hand, this is a boat for fairly light summer use. The boat is an '80s Sisu and I'm not sure that the expense of repowering makes sense. Does anyone have any advice?"

"You can go to an autowrecker

"You can go to an autowrecker and get an automotive head from a B21 Volvo block. Specifically, from a 1976 to 1982 240 Volvo. However, you will have to keep your current camshaft, as an automotive camshaft will not work well on a marine engine."

First you may want to remove t

First you may want to remove the head to make sure it's not just a bad headgasket. That's a fairly cheap and easy fix compared to the alternative.

Another reason to keep the camshaft is because VP wants roughly $800 for a new one. Ouch! There is a guy a few posts down from this selling an AQ140 maybe he will seperate the head for you.

"I crack a head a few years ag

"I crack a head a few years ago, at the rear corner. I had it welded and it has worked fine ever since. I questioned a marine mechanic about the reliability of a welded head and he said that if it was done properly it would be as good as new. So far so good.

Tom"

Back