Logo

Marvel Mystery Oil Additives

ghirsch

"The old salts at my marina sw

"The old salts at my marina swear by Marvel Mystery Oil, as a fuel additive and as an engine oil additive. They add 1 pint of Marvel per 250 gallons of fuel (some say a quart), and 1 pint per oil change.

Except for a fuel/water absorption additive at fillup time, I'm not using any additives in my 1988 Crusader 454s, which have 1250 hours and run great.

Any opinions on Marvel or fuel/oil additives in general for aging Crusaders? ... I've heard plenty of talk that some additives can cause more harm than good!"

"I'm not one to go for add

"I'm not one to go for additives in crankcase oil. For one thing modern crankcase oils have a precise additive package and introducing another one on top of that can hinder the performance of that package. One rare exception is using a viscosity enhancer (STP) in an engine that is old and on it's last leg and you want to milk some more life out of it.
Fuel additives are a little different. Fuel injector cleaner is good to use periodically to help keep injectors clean. I used Marvel Mystery Oil to my marine gasoline engines to help deal with corrosion in the fuel systems. Marvel Mystery oil should be used in proportions not to exceed recommended ratios as oil in the fuel, past a certain point, can raise the combustion temperature in the cylinder above desired levels."

"ThereThere are a lot of “Snak

"ThereThere are a lot of “Snake Oils” out there but there are very few that will not void warranties on new engine or will not be removed with a good filtration system. Back in 1984 I was a Factory Service Rep for Solar gas turbine out of San Diego, California. My job was Maritime Rep in Canada which included the Canadian Armed Forces. The Canadian Navy had Solar turbines installed on the 280 class destroyers and the AORs at that time. The problem was that these gas turbines would go from 0 to 22,500 RPM in 15 seconds. The reduction gear boxes were suffering from lack of lubrication as it took that long for the oil pressure to come up. The search was on for a product that would adhere to the metal components adding a semi permanent vicious bearer between the moving parts. Many “Snake Oils” were looked at and discarded as bogus. These included, STP (a kerosene derivative), Power Up, (microscopic suspended minerals, easily filtered, but had a cool demo unit at trade shows, the old Timken bearing test) Red Ram (using Polyizobuteline, not sure of the spelling it has been awhile). None of the products would meet Mil Specs or worked for the application. One product did stand out as the real Mc Coy. It was invented by an American Petroleum Engineer named Clayton Morey. It was sold as Morey’s Oil Stabilizer, Lucus (his son’s company) and XM5 in Canada. Although it would not stand up to the “shear” caused by extremely fast rotating equipment (and not used for the Navy for this reason), I continued to use it ever since I have used it in all sorts of internal combustion engines, gearboxes, diesel fuel additive, hydraulic systems and so on. The product itself is a 100% petroleum blend of which no lab has been able to decipher. It will increase compression, soften dry seals, increase RPM and economy. Bottom line “The $%^& Works” You may have seen it in Napa stores, it was the egg beater or multiple gear demo that you played with while you were patiently waiting to get your auto parts. It will not void warranties; it stabilizes the viscosity index of your existing motor oil without altering your oils additives. Example; my x-wife had an old beater car that took 1 quart of oil at every fill of gas and left allot of smoke behind it. When Morey’s was added the oil consumption quit. I have many more but I will leave the research to you. I use it in my 1984 4-236 Perkins and I have 15,000 hours on it and have never had any major repairs."

"Another Canadian Product used

"Another Canadian Product used is <font color=""ff0000""> New Start Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer, </font><font color=""000000"">which broke off of Morey's back in the 80's. It uses the same formula but at different concentrations for the colder Canadian temperatures than the original formula developed in the southern states. Many of the mills in B.C. and other users such as myself swear by it and wouldn't want to do an oil change without it... and in a pinch XM-5 . www.new-start.ca</font>"

Back