Logo

2003 DT150 EFI rough idle and bogged take off

leafman

"I have a 2003 DT150 EFI 25 in

"I have a 2003 DT150 EFI 25 inch motor on a 19' center console bay boat. When I first put the boat in the water I pump the bulb til it is firm. Turn the key and the motor starts up fine. Kind of smokey and a little rough idle and vibration. When I put it in gear and proceed at no wake speed the motor has a little more vibration and seems to run a little rough. I can then either get on the throttle slow or hammer down on it and the nose points straight up and the motor sounds like it is bogging down. I back off the throttle to an idle and then get on the throttle and the boat will plane and run fine. No vibration while running and motor is quiet and seems normal. The prop has no dings or dents and is in perfect condition so it is not causing the vibration. Now I can stop and then get back on the throttle and get on step with no problem. Fish for an hour or so and start up and it boggs down at take off again, back off the throttle and get back on it and it will take off fine. I pulled the plugs and they are all a brownish color with a little black mixed in and I cleaned them. They look good. I wonder if it is running to rich and the oil is not burning at start up from the plugs. Has anyone else encountered this? My understanding is that the DT150 DT200 and DT225 are all the same motor just different horsepowers."

"I have a 2003 DT 225 EFI and

"I have a 2003 DT 225 EFI and mine is doing the same thing, except it will also bogg down while I'm running. I am on the 3rd set of plugs in 3 month's, changed by two different dealers. The first dealer charged me $700 bucks and fixed nothing. They changed plugs, drained fuel, added water sep., and changed heat sensor. They changed the heat sensor because of a engine code. I picked it up, ran it and the same problem existed. Even the check engine soon light was still coming on. Now I am on dealer #2. They told me they changed the plugs because they were bad and they think the starboard side is over heating. So they are changing the water pump. He told me if that is not the problem he will have to consult Susuki. I just love the part swapping authorized dealers, hope i fixed it, if I didn't bring it back so I can charge you more AUTHORIZED DEALERS."

"I have the same motor TJ. Had

"I have the same motor TJ. Had the same problem when I first bought my boat. Every time I took off it stumbled and left a cloud of smoke behind me. At higher RPM it was rough but ran better. It eventually got worse to the point that one of the cylinders was filling up with water. The spark plug was covered in a white/brownish goo. Ended up back to the dealership 3 times over a year and a half before Suzuki finally told them to tear it down completely. Suzuki ended up putting gaskets from the prop all the way out to that spark plug plus a head and jug. Runs great now, in fact it runs better now than when it was new. Luckily I was still in the warranty. Parts alone was almost $700."

What I am experiencing is a li

What I am experiencing is a little different. Almost seems like each time the motor is started and I proceed to take off it sounds like the motor is struggling to burn excess oil. Maybe on startup this motor gives an extra shot of oil. Might need to be adjusted. Other than that motor runs very smooth while under way. I have a 1985 dt85 and has the same vibration at idle as the 2003 dt150 efi. Like a Suzuki trademark vibration.

Back