Logo

89 evinrude 120 charging system

randy

" can anyone give me some insi

" can anyone give me some insight as to why my 89 evinrude 120 hp wont charge ? i have replaced the stator and regulator/rectifier, i can get it to charge 13 volts with nothing on, as soon as i turn on the lights it starts dropping down. it will charge about 4 amps and it is a 9 amp output.i have tried running down the battery but it dosent seem to make a difference
thank you "

" Randy.... The stator, OMC #5

" Randy.... The stator, OMC #583410 is listed as a 3/9 ampere stator.

The Rectifier/Regulator assy, original part number and superceeded numbers of 583512 (original), 584205, 585192 (latest #) is listed as a 3/10.

At any decent rpm, that setup should charge near the stators limit of 9 amps.

Note that a maintance free battery (according to OMC) will have an adverse effect on the charging rate (I have no idea why).

I assume that you did install the proper Regulator/Rectifier as per the above numbers? Should that component be for say a 35amp system, weird things will happen.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" Hey everbody, I'm gettin

" Hey everbody, I'm getting ready to change the grease in the lower housing of my Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke and I can't locate my owner's manual. I've never done this before but it can't be that hard. Any suggestions?....Ray "

Hello I have a 1998 115 hp evinroude ficht I am wondering how many amps this motor puts out ? I want to run two batteries. With the blue star add a battery system. I am being told I will not have enough apps to charge both batteries

Back