Logo

How often to start engine durring off season

my_heap

Contributing Member
In Florida its too hot in summ

In Florida its too hot in summer for boating.
And I have not started it since Memorial day weekend
I have to keep in dry storage with no access to a water hose. Can I just put in some stabilizer in gas and be ok for a month or two at a time without running it?

"I don't know what kind of

"I don't know what kind of gas you have in your area, but I have kept gas for over a year without any adverse effects in the engine. Also, I never use stabilizer."

Probably do the bearings more

Probably do the bearings more harm than good by starting it. Our engines 'sleep' all winter up north with no adverse effects.

Jeff

"I'd agree with Jeff. If y

"I'd agree with Jeff. If you don't get the engine up to full operating temperature and hold it there for a while, nasty things accumulate in the oil which tend to eat bearings."

"My 250B engines sat for five

"My 250B engines sat for five years with black oil and old gas. Procedures to get them up and running were 1)new batteries, 2)clean carbs, 3)drain and refill gas tank. That was 2 years ago and I finally changed oil. As far as bearings, I doubt there is or will be a problem. The engines have minimal blowby and use no oil between changes. The cams are shiny clean. No rust on the dipstick. Heat of combustion creates acid and I suppose that long exposure at high temps (not cold) could harm bearings but I have not seen it, probably because modern oils contain buffers. As mentioned by another poster, gas will not go sour after one year. If the engine is to be idle for more than one year, do drain the carburetors. However, most engines, including the 250, will run on two year old gas."

Back