Logo

Chrysler 55 HP outboard

tntitans21399

"I bought a 1972 Terry Bass Bo

"I bought a 1972 Terry Bass Boat with a Chrysler 55 HP outboard on it. This is my firt outboard, and I have a couple of questions that hopefully everyone can help me with.

The motor is a Chrysler 55 HP, serial 1060 & model 559HD, which I'm guessing means it is a 1960 model?

1. I believe it might have lost some power because it pushes the boat around 20mph (top speed) and some of my friends said it should go 5-10 mph faster. Then if one more peron gets into the boat drops to about 10 mph. So I'm guess if they are right, and it is 4o year old engine that maybe it has lost some compression. I was going to go get a conpression tester, but what is the normal compession for this engine? The owner before me said he had the engine over hauled, but I didn't think one more person would drop the speed that much. I know it should take longer to get to top speed but not drop it that much.

2. The owner before me said he put in a new water pump in 2006. But my dad said when he was driving next to me he saw sometimes water would come out and sometimes it didn't. Then while driving it I think the engine was getting hot, and I alarm sensor (I'm guessing) came on. I turned it off, and if I sit for a moment then start it up again it is fine, so that is why I think it was getting hot. I was going to replace the water impeller, but I didn't know if any knew how to do this on this model.

Any help would be great, and thanks for your time.
83500.jpg
"

"I recently purchased a boat w

"I recently purchased a boat with an old 55hp chrysler outboard on it. I'm not an expert by far but have been researching different things to trouble shoot my problems and also for more knowledge on my motor.
1. I was also having trouble finding the year. I found a site with it listed out by the model number. It is maxrules.com. I looked up your model number and according to their site it is a 1972 model.
2. I found in the manual I bought for mine that the compression for 55hp motors should be 150-165psi and if there is a 10-15psi difference in compression, the lower reading is the cylinder with the problem.
3. Haven't changed the impellor yet, but I did read (because my problem is a linkage/gear one) that when you drop the lower unit, not only make sure of your coupler location, but make sure your shift shaft doesn't change either when putting it back together or you will have shifting problems.
I hope this information helps you and like I said, I'm far from an expert, just passing on the info I found...."

"well i have a 55 hp chrysler

"well i have a 55 hp chrysler that came with the boat i just bought.. at 1st i wouldn't start at all.. went and got a marine grade battery for it. .then it fired right up. i was pleased.

however when ur on the water.. it can run all day with the control lever in the 1/2 way point.. but once it goes in WOT it dies after 30 sec's or so.

not sure what causes that to happen. but i went got new points, and carb kit. cleaned out the carb. now it wont spark at all.. it has the MAGNAPOWER ingition on it.

any ideas?"

Back