Logo

131AQ No Power

sdbatman

"Hello and thanks for any advi

"Hello and thanks for any advice. a couple years ago I left my key on and fried the coil...replaced and all was well. Last weekend, the boat ran fine, i forgot the key on again and it would not start. The local NAPA did not have the exact coil in stock so it was replaced with "an alike" model calling for an external resistor. Replaced it and the boat only goes about 10 mph and 2800 RPM. I cant imagine plugs, wires, or fuel as it ran fine prior to me leaving the key in the on position. Is the coil wrong and causing my problems? Also it has a purple and white wire to the coil. Which goes on positive(+). Tried it both ways and still runs the same."

"Forgot to mention that i repl

"Forgot to mention that i replaced the points, pulled the distributor apart checked the springs and weights (they seem to move fine). If it did not run fine last weekend I would suspect a fuel system problem."

"You need a 3 ohm coil for you

"You need a 3 ohm coil for your engine, which has an internal resistor. If the one you have calls for an external resistor, it may be a 1.5 ohm coil. If you run that coil without an external resistor, the points will fry in no time. Check between the + and - with an ohm meter and see what reading do you get.

Regarding wiring, the purple wire goes to the (+) and the tachometer wire (which is supposed to be grey) goes to the (-) of the coil. Also, the wire going to the points goes to the (-) of the coil.

I also suggest that you consider getting rid of the points and installing a Pertronix electronic ignition kit (#2842) instead. You'll be glad you did."

Back