Logo

Trouble starting blue band merc 70hp

J

justin maslen

" i have a merc (about 85

" i have a merc (about 85 model) whent to start after fitting a new starter motor, fired and ran well. After switching off and turned the ignition to restart did not want to go again.
have noticed that when i prime the fuel it takes longer than usual and when the primer bulb does fill with fuel after a while it looses its pressure. Also when turning the key start should the choke engage all the time? "

"Justin.... Mercurys are not m

"Justin.... Mercurys are not my line of expertise but your questions would apply to any engine, therefore I'll offer my suggestions.

The fuel primer bulb is hard only when you prime the engine. Those bulbs are usually installed so that they lay in a horizontal position, and being so, the fuel will drop down to the halfway mark (no, I don't know why). This normal action does not interfere with the running performance of the engine.

If one would want the bulb to stay completely full of fuel, the bulb would need to be installed vertically with the fuel outlet being at the top of it.

The choke should operate only when the operator wants the choke to engage, otherwise it could cause the engine to load up (flood) on fuel.

Joe
"

" Check your switch. If the s

" Check your switch. If the switch is corroded, it could possible cause the choke to stay on. Also check all starter parts.
Good Luck and Have fun on the Water "

Back