Logo

25 HP Tracker outboard Serial Number

steve_cox

"Please help, I've had thi

"Please help, I've had this outboard for a few years and the SN number sticker has been gone since before I bought it. The casting number on the engine block is 872-9076-C9. It was sold to me as a 1996, but who knows? I want to replace the fuel pump diaphram and rebuild the carb. Thanks for any info you can provide."

"That number is just a casting

"That number is just a casting number and really equates to nothing usable.

However, Mercs have a welsh plug on the waterjacket that also contains the serial number.

It is a small siver disc about the size of a quarter, it will be on the right hand side (if you are standing behind the motor) usually on the upper cylinder waterjacket.

I will post a picture of what and about "where" you have to look. The pic is of a little Evinrude, but Mercs are identical.

So just take off the hood and have a look.

The serial number you will be looking for will look something like 0P327721 (or similar - zero, letter, numbers)...
83440.jpg
"

"Thanks Graham, I know of that

"Thanks Graham, I know of that plug, I'll dash right out and check the number on it and get back. This is a great forum, I've never gotten a response that quick before."

"Found a plug (silver disk

"Found a plug (silver disk) on the waterjacket, upper cylinder on the left side (standing behind the motor). So, with serial number I found the Model Number: 1025312SN. Thanks Again Graham."

"You motor was built in a fair

"You motor was built in a fairly new series. The serial doesn't equate out necessarily to an exact year (because they built year groups identical) and in that way dealers never end up with "last years motor".

However, based on your serial it appears to have been built in late 97 or early 98 and was probably sold as a 98 model when new.

It's definately a year or two younger than 96 (the serial is too high to be a 96 by about 20,000 motors) - however all parts in that entire model run (which started in 1995 I believe) are interchangable..."

Back