Logo

Lots of questions

I have two Johnsons one a 1963

I have two Johnsons one a 1963 short shaft model RK-25 the other a 1967 model RKL-29E.
Is the crank shaft enterchangeable do you know?
Jack

"Jack, Joe will most likely kn

"Jack, Joe will most likely know for sure right off the top of his head, but I would assume that these should be a straight bolt up exchange.

They are both the same hp from exactly the same model run and series, with the RK-25 being at the begining and the RKL-29 being the 2nd last of the run.

However, both are 40 horse electric shift, so I would suspect that the lower unit from the short shaft (including driveshaft, shift shaft and water-tube) should fit the your 67 model..."

"Shouldn't take more than

"Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at best. And may as well do the impeller while you are at it.

Aside from removing the lower unit, you will probably have to pull the powerhead in order to change out the water-tubes (believe there is 2 on this model).

There may be an easier way, but that's how I would do it. I just unhook anything that connects the powerhead to the lower pan (fuel line, tell-tale hose) and I remove the powerhead as a "whole unit".

So just like an impeller change, with an extra gasket or two for the top end(exhaust housing - because you can almost never save them - and for a couple of bucks - why try).

Should be a very easy swap..."

"Thank you again for your kind

"Thank you again for your kindness, planning to do this coming Thursday and will let you know we make out. Thank you.
Jack"

"Sorry Jack - caught me not th

"Sorry Jack - caught me not thinking here - just put your good powerhead on the short-shaft - swap powerheads (duh)
"

"No offense intended here.....

"No offense intended here..... the water tubes simply pull out, push in, from the bottom. No need to pull a powerhead simply to change water tubes."

Thanks Joe - this model is a l

Thanks Joe - this model is a little early for me and had no idea how they "hooked up" at the upper end...

Back