Logo

1996 Johnson 15hp 4 stroke problem

neckman

I have a 1996 15hp 4 stroke th

I have a 1996 15hp 4 stroke that has given me a lot of trouble. The first problem was the rocker arms which was a common problem with this motor so I put in the upgraded arms. Then the motor would die at slower speeds. Then it would run perfect at high speed until you stop for a few minutes. When you restart it will not take gas and spits back. You can limp in and all of a sudden it starts running perfectly again. I cleaned carb and thought I had it fixed but it is doing it again. I use this motor in Baja and I need to get some trust back in it or trade it in. Any suggestions?

"IMHO, Sounds to me like you h

"IMHO, Sounds to me like you have a fuel contamination problem. If you cleaned the carb and it ran good for a while and then it started acting up again it could be that you got some debris/contaminates in your system. I would suggest you empty out your fuel tank completely checking for debris/contaminate then add more gas and rinse it out again thoroughly. If you are certain that the gas tank is free from debris and contaminates, do the same with your fuel line, fuel filter, and reclean your carb. Add fresh gas and try again.
If it runs good your problem is solved, if not at least you will have ruled out your fuel system as the culprit. I would then move on to troubleshooting the rocker arm/valve adjustment as this was a previous cause of trouble before that may have re-appeared."

Back