Logo

Pertronix Ignition System

J

JPFire388

"HELP!!
I have just purchased

"HELP!!
I have just purchased a pertronix ignition system for my boat. I have a volvo penta AQ260 GM 350 5.7 litre engine and have installed the module and the spacer and rotor in the distributor cap. All is aligned as the directons state to make sure which way the distributor turns. I have not connected the wires yet because I noticed there is a resistor device or maybe the Ballast that is attached to the coil. A set of wires come off the positive side of the coil and go into one side of the ballast (resistor ?) and then disappear into the engine harness. The other side of the ballast (resistor?) has two purple wires that are connected and go into the wire harness also. I know that I have to connect the negative side(black wire) to the negative side of the coil. Done that. My question is do I connect the positive side of the module to the side of the ballast that has the two purple wires connected to it? or do I install it after the ballast? If installing it on either side, all I have to do is just cut the wires and add a new connector to accomodate all the wires right? PLEAE HELP!!!!
Also, once I install the last wire, will I need to adjust the timing? How is that done on a volvo penta engine?
THANKS"

"Hi,

First, read what Pertr

"Hi,

First, read what Pertronix says:

http://www.pertronix.com/downloads/ignitor12vneg.pdf

Basically, they advise you to keep the resistor (if you have one) and connect the ignitor red wire before the ballast resistor. However, if you have a 12V coil with at least 1.5 ohm resistance, you should not need the resistor any longer as you are getting rid of the points.

I, too, have a 5.7 GM and both the electronic ignition system and the coil work perfectly without a ballast resistor.

To adjust the timing, you need a timing light. Set the timing at 8º BTDC at idle (600-650 RPM), which should give 30º at 4200 RPM."

"EL PEscador,
Thanks for the

"EL PEscador,
Thanks for the great advice. I just finished installing the Pertronix system and just fired it up in my driveway. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!
She sounds great and the engine has never run so smooth. I posted a question last week about my engine cutting out at or above 1200 rpm and I did many things to see if they would work. Come to find out I had alot of sediment in the bowls of the carburetor. I went to a ocal carb shop and he had a new rebuilt sitting on the shelf. The exact same one. I installed it and TaDa!!!!! Runs great. The shop opened the carb up and found that some sediment got into the secondary jets and clogged.
Well, I am bringing my boat down to the boat mechanic to have them check all of my work and to check everything on the boat to make sure it is running in tip top shape before I take the family for a day trip in the LI sound next weekend.
Thanks for all of your advice......
JPFire388"

Back