Logo

1978 mercury 140 hp 1400 no fire to plugs

poundermark

im having the switch box teste

im having the switch box tested on monday the 25.of june if the box shows good is the trigger bad.If one of them are bad does anyone have use part i may buy

"What else have you tested/che

"What else have you tested/checked. This model should have a distributor, rotor, coil - are they all good?

Also stator - a number of ignition parts that could be the cause of no spark....

This shouldn't have a trigger with it being a distributor run ignition..."

how do i check the stator and

how do i check the stator and dist. the coil is good. i had it out last weekend and it ran good allday but on my way back to the dock it quit and would not restart.lost fire

"Mark, Here is the troublesho

"Mark, Here is the troubleshooting guide for that battery driven ignition. BTW - the stator simply charges the battery. It is not a component in the ignition circuit. This procedure is courtesy Clams Canino.

MERCURY BATTERY-POWERED CDI TEST
FOR DISTRIBUTOR MODELS

This test is for the 332-2986 switchbox used from 1967-1978 on all the inlines.

This test assumes your coil is good (most all are).

DISCONNCT BATTERY

1. Turn off ignion
2. Disconnect all 3 wires on the distributor side of the switchbox.
3. Remove the HV lead from the coil to the center cap (remember it unscrews
from cap)
4. Reconnect that HV center lead to the COIL side only.
5. Position that HV lead about about 3/8" from ground (block, shrouds etc)
and find a way to hold it there.
6. Jumber the brown and white terminals on the dist. side of the switchbox
together.

RECONNECT BATTERRY

7. Check that you have +12 V at red terminal.
8. Turn on ignition and verify +12V at white terminal (on red terminal side)
9. Touch the black terminal to ground - unit should cause spark each time
you touch ground.

If that passes and it won't fire at all, suspect the trigger"

Thanks chris i will do this an

Thanks chris i will do this and get back to you i havin got to test the switch box hope i get it done tomorrow. if the trigger is bad can just the trigger be change and if so does the dist. have to come out. Thanks for the help

"Mark, if the trigger is bad,

"Mark, if the trigger is bad, you need to replace the distributor housing. If you look around the web, they have rebuilt triggers (and housings) for <$200. e-Bay is another source for these."

Chris just looked at ebay ther

Chris just looked at ebay there is a dist. off of a 1970's 1100 part no. they are showing is 45960hf.I been looking at a web side call mawrules.com on part no.on the model 1100 inline 6 from 1966-67 trigger no. are the same 134-3736 did they make a 1100 in he 70's. I thank this is the same dist.Are the dist hard to change.Again thanks for the help.Mark

Chris i did the test you sent

Chris i did the test you sent me got good fire jumping and i check the stator/new rectifier/switch box.so i beleave the trigger bad.Igot a mercury manual today i hope it helps me

Back