Logo

1981 75hp water pump issues impeller

curtism

"Hey, my motor is not pumping

"Hey, my motor is not pumping any water, there is no water coming out of the "pee hole"... it was running for a few seconds in a garbage can, with it submerged under the water pickup, and I felt where the water should exit (pee hole) and there was only air or something. I took the leg off and there was massive ammounts of oily dirty crud, I cleaned off everything and took the 4 screws out of the impeller housing. when I took it off, the key was just sitting there not in place. when I spin the prop it spins the drive shaft and the impeller. The impeller is in good condition and everything. I have tried putting compressed air into the water pickup ( once its forced thru the impeller) with the leg off, and no air pressure going to the "pee hole"

is that normal?

if I shoot air thru the "pee hole" it feels like the air is exiting out of the exhaust port at the lower end is that normal?

there is no air coming out of the water hole on the lower end.

would the key not being in be enough for the impeller not to pump even at idle?

any more suggestions would be awesome, thanks!"

"the impeller MUST be keyed to

"the impeller MUST be keyed to shaft...i would install a NEW imp,..the old one prob came loose from brass hub...and the key ,prob fell out when the imp came up w/the housing,in your hand??"

"the impeller is on there pret

"the impeller is on there pretty tight even without the key, even in idle would it not pump ANY water?"

It sounds like either your wat

It sounds like either your water tube is clogged or not sealed properly at the exhaust plate end of things or you have a hole in it which would explain the air not making it all the way to the powerhead...

Back