Logo

Evinrude 48 spl year ID

Evinrude 48 spl hard starting

Evinrude 48 spl hard starting initially - rough idle/wants to stall after about 10 minutes idling. Runs fine at full throttle.

That is actually your serial n

That is actually your serial number and no real information can be gained from that.

Your model number should look somthing like:

E48ESLCUS

As to your hard start/idle problem. Sounds very much like your low speed carb jet is gummed up. The carb should be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned - replace the jet (needle valve if distorted)...

It should be on or near the up

It should be on or near the upper transom bracket (left hand side if you are behind the motor) on a small sitcker/plate...

"Hey Graham,
I think the stic

"Hey Graham,
I think the sticker/plate is gone, I can't find it anywhere on the transom bracket and I can't find one on the engine itself. Could it be stamped on the engine somewhere? I was told engine looks like early 90's model."

"OMC definately puts a welsh p

"OMC definately puts a welsh plug (small silver disc size of a quater) on all their engines. It is usually on the right side waterjacket (standing behind the motor) towards the extreme rear of the powerhead.

Sometimes though, it gets burried by all the "stuff" hanging on the motor.

Since sometime in the 80's they included both the model number and the serial number on most of them. If it only contains a serial number, it's of little value as far as determining year.

OMC (unlike most of the others) is good in other ways though. They stamp the part number on almost every part/piece on their entire outboard.

So if all else fails, if you find a part number on items such as the intake cover, exhaust cover (a major part) - this can sometimes equate to an exact year on the parts list (or at least get it down to a couple of model years)...."

Back