Logo

Gasoil mix for 1982 Johnson 70 hpoutboard

bill

" I have a 70 hp Johnson outbo

" I have a 70 hp Johnson outboard. It has a 6 gallon gas tank. What is the proper amount of oil to add to the tank when I fill it? Also, do you add the gas or the oil first. Thanks, Bill. "

One pint oil for 6 gal of gas

One pint oil for 6 gal of gas. I always pour the oil in 1st. Then the rush of gas will mix it fine. Be sure to use an oil rated for larger 2 stroke engines. tcw-3

"Bill.... As Kenny has mention

"Bill.... As Kenny has mentioned, the mixture would be one (1) pint of oil to six (6) gallons of fuel... which is a 50/1 mixture. Use a good quality oil, not simply the cheapest. NOTE, if the fuel tank is completely empty, it's a good idea to put a gallon of fuel into the tank before adding the oil, then top the tank off with the six gallons. The reasoning for the one gallon is that if you put the oil in a empty tank, then add the fuel, it forces raw oil up the tank supply line which will of course in turn end up in the carburetor(s). Having raw oil in the float chamber of the carburetor(s) makes for a hard starting engine if you're able to start it at all.

Joe
"

Back