Logo

Correct starting procedure 1989 20hp outboard

scottyk52

"Hi, I just got a boat with

"Hi, I just got a boat with a 1989 20hp manual start outboard motor. I was wondering what the correct starting procedure is. The method i use is i pump the primer ball until it gets hard. Pull the choke knob out then start pulling away and start pushing the choke knob in or out. this method takes at least 15 pulls to start but once started it easily starts first pull. What is the correct procedure and what am i doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any help given."

usually the best way to start

usually the best way to start when cold is pump the ball and pull the primer out and in 3 times before pulling the rope. Never leave the primer knob out since you will flood the motor.

"Yes, take William's advic

"Yes, take William's advice. Each time you pull the choke all the way out it sends a "shot" of gas right into the cyliders as your choke knob also has a lever connected to it that hit's the primer on the carb.

The choke knob performs three functions. All the way out it primes, half way out it chokes, and depressed all the way in: clockwise increases idle speed, counter clockwise decreases idle speed between a range of approx 700 - 1400 rpm depending how it has been set up.

I can usually get away with one pull out, then I return the choke knob to about the "half out" position and give it a pull. If it doesn't start on that pull, I will give it another prime "shot".

Once started, I slowly push the choke knob all the way in and then press on it and turn it clockwise (to the fast idle position) and allow the motor to warm up.

Once warm you can set your idle (fast - slow) as you prefer.

For the remainder of the day, you shouldn't have to "prime" again, but if you have been sitting for a bit and it doesn't start (without the choke) - pull your choke knob out to the "half out" position and give it a pull...."

i have a 96 15 hp merc which h

i have a 96 15 hp merc which has the same setup as a 20 if you remove the cowling you will see there is NO choke just a lever arm that puts a shot in with every pull the same knob has the slow fast idle

Back