Logo

2006 F225

C

Chris Wolf

"My Yamaha F225 started squeal

"My Yamaha F225 started squealing the other day after a run across the lake. The squeal only happens at idle or just above after its been running for a while, but once you shower down on it, the squeal goes away. Could the belt be bad or the tensioner? The motor has close to 100 hr on it, and the dealer said the shop manul does not indicate a time frame to replace it."

"Sounds like a belt slipping -

"Sounds like a belt slipping - maybe. May not necessarily be though, could just be noisy. Chrysler (auto) had a chronic problem like that for a few years - just the material composition of the belt.

Inspect it. If it appears loose, correct the tension.

If it looks good you could either:

replace it to try and get rid of the noise, or

grab a can of "belt dressing" from any automotive retailer, give it a spray and hope it shuts it up
"

"Sorry, no idea - I have never

"Sorry, no idea - I have never even cracked the hood on a Yamy - just not popular where I am - only see Merc's/OMC's.

I do imagine they are similar and will either be an adjustment on the mount or you would possibly have to shim it.

Maybe contact "just-in-time" directly (who posts here) has far more experience with these big japanese motors..."

Chris Wolf
go to yami's

Chris Wolf
go to yami's web site and get me the yami LIT number for the manual
i have most of them

"What is the LIT number, and w

"What is the LIT number, and where do you find it on the Web Site?
I looked but did not see anything for LIT numbers"

"This is what it told me:

O

"This is what it told me:

Outboard
Out-of-Stock Items:
If the item you need is not "In-Stock", we can send you an e-mail notification as soon as it is available. Simply check the appropriate box and click "Add to Cart".
Note:
It is recommended when ordering, that both the Service manual and any available Supplements be ordered together for the most up-to-date information.

No Manuals matched your search criteria.OB"

I'm not sure what the LIT

I'm not sure what the LIT Number is.
I typed in my serial number at the prompt and it gave me the message posted above. I never saw anything to do with a LIT Number. What does LIT stand for anyways

"I figured out how to get the

"I figured out how to get the LIT Number, but there is not one for my Motor. The closest thing i could find is a 2005 F225 TRXD( See Below). My motor is a 2006 F225 TXR.

LIT-18616-02-76"

"Chris,
I'm new to the bo

"Chris,
I'm new to the board. I found this post searching for answers to what sounds like the same problem you're having. I have a 2006 F225 with approx. 75 hours on it. I heard a belt squealing sound coming from mine the other day...we were trolling 25 miles off of Hatteras, NC at the time. I don't hear it in neutral or when running, just at trolling speeds and when the engine is warm/hot. Have you gotten any answers?
Eddie"

"Haven't had a chance to d

"Haven't had a chance to dig into the oweners manuel yet, but it seems that the belt is worn out and needs to be replaced. Not sure what the recommended replacement intervals is, but it is worth looking into. Let me know if you find out anything definate"

"Spoke to mechanic at the deal

"Spoke to mechanic at the dealership and he said he's had these motors come back with a squealing sound. He says it's salt build up or corrosion around the "drive shaft" going to the lower unit. He said he's taken them out and cleaned them and the sound goes away. I don't know about that. He told me that if the belt is going bad that you'll see small rubber particles/dust under the hood. If you hear the noise again, shift to neutral and rev it up. If the squeal continues then it's not a drive shaft but probably the belt. That's what I plan on doing. The owner's manual says to inspect/replace the timing belt at 100hrs.
EG"

"Mine squesls in neutral. I ho

"Mine squesls in neutral. I hope it is just the belt, i have close to 100hrs on it now. Any idea what a new belt cost?"

"Chris,
Don't know about

"Chris,
Don't know about a new belt. I bought a can of belt dress that I am going to spray on belt. We'll see...
EG"

Back