Logo

No high speed 50hp 1990 mariner

mburge

have a 1990 50 hp mariner..ran

have a 1990 50 hp mariner..ran great on friday set out sat started right up about 8min in the trip at low speed went to high speed and in about 5 min lost the high speed..what am I looking at? plugs did not change this year...could it be the high speed jet? can I use something in the fuel to fix it? thank you

"Assuming you are using fresh

"Assuming you are using fresh gas (????)

Sounds like it could be a high speed jet problem.

Was the motor stored for the winter? did you stablize the gas before it was?

If the answer is yes then no - probably the carb.

And if that is the case, it's too late to be adding something to the fuel - carb needs to be pulled, disassembled and cleaned...

If the gas is old, get rid of it, change the plugs and maybe (slim chance) you will get lucky...."

oh yes the motor had gas stabl

oh yes the motor had gas stablizer in it..looks like Im looking at the high speed jet then..how do I fix this?

"Not a difficult job, but lot&

"Not a difficult job, but lot's of small pieces - you should have a manual.

The carb must be removed from the motor. Disassembled and thouroughly cleaned with carb cleaner.

Jets inspected and replaced if damaged or distored.

My personal opinion - if you have to pull it to clean it, may as well pick up a kit (you need new gaskets anyhow) so for a couple extra bucks you can get the jets, springs seals etc and do a rebuild.

Depending on which model you have - there were 3 distinctly different 1990 50 horse mariners, you could be looking at a couple of different carbs.

The main jet (or high speed jet) is located either on the bottom or on the underside of the carb (depending whether your model has a walbro or tillotson carb)

Hence the manual becomes even more important."

thank you graham..Im not much

thank you graham..Im not much of a fix it guy..I will have to take it to a dealer...thank you anyway..to bad you cannot put something in the fuel to clean it out..Mike in Kansas City Mo.

Back