Logo

Gas smell

webenergy

"I opened the access hatch to

"I opened the access hatch to the gas tank on the floor of my boat, stuck my nose in and smelled gas. Is this normal, or do I have a leak in my tank or fuel line? It's a big enough job to take off the floor panel to access the gas tank, but I take it that it's like a car. I have to run the engine and check the fuel system to see where it's leaking? The gas tank is full and is a 50 gallon tank. I didn't see any fuel leaking at the line connected to my Evinrude.

Any tips would be helpful, thanks!"

"Your tank should be vented to

"Your tank should be vented to prevent gas fumes from accumulating in the floor. If the vent is functioning properly, you (may) have a gas leak.

There is commercially available dye's that you can add to your tank that will help determine if it's a leak - just look for the dye in the bilge..."

"Hey Graham,

Thanks! I'

"Hey Graham,

Thanks! I've also been over-filling my tank too I believe. I've been putting in 5 gallons after every use which I now know that I haven't been using at every trip. I do in fact have a vent, however there may be a crack in the vent which may cause the gas smell if the tank is over-filled. I'll try ther dye, and maybe take off the floorboard to check for leaks too. I really hope it's not a leak, but just an over-filled tank!"

"I will update you when I find

"I will update you when I find and fix the problem. From what I think, there is a crack in the vent and I have been over-filling the gas tank. So, instead of the vent doing its job, it's leaking into the hull. I'll pull apart the floorboard and check the system."

"Well, I fixed the problem! Th

"Well, I fixed the problem! The fuel line was cracked where it connects to the gas tank. It seems that whoever tightened the clamp last, tightened it too much and caused the clamp to dig into the fuel line causing it to crack. Because I had alot of slack on the line, I cut 2 inches off the fuel line and re-attached it to the tank. I also put a strip of duct tape where the clamp goes on so it doesn't dig into the fuel line. Took the boat out for a long ride, came back, and no more gas smell!"

Back