Logo

OMC stringer 800

19i23

How do you remove the steering

How do you remove the steering cable end from the housing on the sterndrive {true course steering } ?

remove the bracket. remove the

remove the bracket. remove the plastic cover. turn the wheel full lock to expose rear of drum. remove the screw that goes through drum. it's loose.

"and then, you also have to sl

"and then, you also have to slide the steering shaft out the back of the intermediate I think...."

OK does the shaft go out towar

OK does the shaft go out towards the engine or the sterndrive.

"My problem now is ,the shaft

"My problem now is ,the shaft is jammed and I don't know if I should drive it back with a brass hammer or pull it out with a slid hammer.I have a OMC stinger manual but it doesn't address the steering system at all.."

"shaft goes back towards the s

"shaft goes back towards the sterndrive. If it rotates, it's not jammed- there's something retaining it - I forget what exactly
What manual do you have?"

"The manual I have is seloc .T

"The manual I have is seloc .There was a lock screw going through the steering drum and shaft ,but I removed that.I've seen some parts catalogs that show this area, and all it shows is that lock screw .I think I might have to cut it out ."

yeah I don't see anything

yeah I don't see anything else retaining the shaft- I thought for sure SELOC had a section on trucourse steering...

just the one screw holds it. s

just the one screw holds it. sounds like it's binding in the bushing. can you get the steering drum out on the inside?

"btw, the Seloc manual is quit

"btw, the Seloc manual is quite thorough on tru-course steering -pics and all"

"Well it's out ,the shaft

"Well it's out ,the shaft was locked solid on the drum by corrosion,I did cut it out with a recip saw. now I need to find a replacment shaft.I did find a rare OMC tru-course steering cable on ebay.maybe I'll get lucky and find the shaft. Thank you members for all the knowledge and help ."

Back