Logo

Replacingpulling exhaust manifolds on Crusader 81

"Not too hard. Just did this m

"Not too hard. Just did this my self. Make sure you drain out some of the coolant, otherwise when you break the gasket seal some of it will overflow into the manifold. Hardest part was getting the exhaust hoses off. I used a Radiator hose pick (Snap-on)to ream out the hose and break it free from the riser. I also did the other end of the hose. Once the riser is off the studs, you can twist and turn it out of the hose. You may need a crows foot wrench head to get to some of the studs. That helped as well."

"Listen carefully! If the bol

"Listen carefully! If the bolts holding the manifold to the heads do not want to turn, DON'T try to remove them! That will only break them off in the head, and that's a machine shop repair job.

Put a socket wrench on each bolt and CAREFULLY try to unscrew it. If it breaks free right away, fine--remove it. But if it doesn't want to go, STOP! Get a right angle, 4 1/2 inch grinder and cut the head of the bolts off (or drill the heads off). Then carefully remove the manifold with wooden wedges. The remains of the bolts are then treated to an overnight bath in penetrating oil, followed by a session with Vice-Grips. Understand?

Jeff

PS: Be sure to put Never-Seize on all bolts going back in."

Back