Logo

WOW %24 81400 for a camshaft

rock157

Well I got this boat and had 2

Well I got this boat and had 2 good days on the water when I get a noise in the valve cover. I open the cap and can see that the first rocker arm isn’t moving and the push rod is bouncing up and down. Pull head and find a broken lifter. Pull the lifter and find that the camshaft is all chewed up from lifter. So no big deal I’ve replaced camshafts before figure I will just replace.

First I cant find timing gears anywhere which I wanted to change knowing that I was going to remove them anyway and then find that the camshaft is $ 814 .

Can anyone help me on getting parts for a better price or should I just get rid of the boat and find something else. It is an older boat with an AQ 130 C motor. I know I will find other things that need fixing which is fine but is it worth it if these parts cost so much?

"I would find the cam specs fr

"I would find the cam specs from V-P and call around to the speed shops and online dealers, like Jeg's, www.truckperformanceparts.com and Summit Racing. If you can get complete motor specs, even better. That way, you can get exactly what you want or need."

"We have the same engine and t

"We have the same engine and the cam shaft is somewhere around 614.00 in the sierra catalog. In our opinon it is well worth it to keep the engine, we know that we have one bad lobe on the cam and took it out to Lake Havasu last weekend and it still ran great. A couple of local shops that work on V/P engines told us to get a car cam for a fraction of the cost. I know that is not advised by some but our neighbor did it last summer and he does not notice that much of a difference, maybe 5 mph. Good luck with your search, I can tell you that ours is an early 1970s model AQ130C and the car equivalent is a Volvo 142 or p1800 with a B20 engine."

I think the web site I saw it

I think the web site I saw it on was Volvo Parts Direct. It shows pictures of the part and you can match it up from there for the most part.
Good Luck

"John, the problem is that -un

"John, the problem is that -unlike the automotive versions- marine camshafts are engineered for high torque at lower RPM, so their torque curve is completely different. You may want to check this link:

http://www.boatfix.com/how/marineeng.html

Having said that, some automotive camshafts may give you an acceptable performance. The challenge is finding the right one."

"Replaced my cam with car one

"Replaced my cam with car one used the "A" version cam costed 100 bucks. When I had the motor rebuilt last summer the shop regound the cam to the "F" spec. They said that was the best. In volvo cars "F" is fuel injected "A" is single carb I think. Had the "F" cam break at the sea water pump thats why I replaced it. "A" has been working out very good for me. That said I would think that most shops could regrind a cam to a "C" if you had the specs. Here is a link to a volvo site that has a good listing of cam specs.
http://www.1800philes.com/ianr/_superlist_grinds.html BTW the head must come off, Clymer missed that step. Good Luck."

Back