Logo

Mariner 40hp

kevandging

I have a 40 hp mariner engine

I have a 40 hp mariner engine that I want to strip down and rebuild more as a learning curve than anything else I am trying to work out the year built. Can anyone tell me what the serial numbers mean and where I can find this info for future reference. model #od004457 I believe that it is a 91
Cheers Kev

"Yes, it is in fact a 1991.

"Yes, it is in fact a 1991.

Be careful with it, that was one of the best of the (small) mid-sized outboards ever built. (my opinion)

That "series" started in the mid/late 80' and ran until 1994 - so most parts in that era (for 30/40 hp) should be interchangable..."

"You may be able to find them

"You may be able to find them just by doing a search for Mercury Outboard serial numbers.

In the mid 1980's or so, Mercury stopped equating a particular serial number with a specific model and model year.

They did this so that dealers wouldn't be left with "old stock". They decided, since the models changed little (if at all) from one year to the next, to just give them a serial number.

That way, if you buy it in say, 1987 as opposed to 1986 - you have an 87.

So in 1986 the just started handing out serial numbers. They started 0A1xxxxx and started working up from there.

Your 1991 40 horse serial 0D004457 was built a couple thousand units before my 1991 Mariner 15 horse serial 0D024690. It is simply a production number and you can not equate it to even a specific horsepower (unless I guess you had a production list from Merc)...."

Back