Logo

Fogging or Not

farnsp

Regular Contributor
"Whats the right way(if th

"Whats the right way(if there is such a thing)to put away my motor for the winter? Should I fog with sea foam, or is there something better? 1972 Evinrude 9.5 MOD.#922M. Ya know, you hear things from different peaple. Decarb with same? Decarb at all? I still have'nt gotten the manuals I obviously need. Thanks for any opinions that may be out there."

"There is a couple different w

"There is a couple different ways to do it. You can put stablizer in the gas and run it through the last (or last couple) of times that you are out - you want to make sure that it gets right through the system to prevent the gas from gumming things up.

I tend to take the left over gas and just dump in my pick-up. The bit of oil in it doesn't hurt and I start with fresh mix in spring...

There is a couple of "fogging oils" on the market including one put out by OMC - just have to follow the directions. I usually don't spray my wiring or exterior powerhead (as is recommended in some manuals), but I store my outboards in indoor heated spaces.

If you think that the motor may stay layed up longer than just the winter/off season, additionally, you may want to pull the carb(s) and drain them.

If you are storing your motor(s) unheated and live in a northern climate, just make sure they are upright and any water is completely drained - you don't want anything to freeze/crack.

Some other things you may want to consider doing...

Change the gear oil in the lower unit and replace the spark plugs - neither is going to "go bad" while the motor is layed up and it will be ready to go at the first opportunity so you will be on the water while others are scrambling for parts - additionally, if there is water in the lower unit, you will 1) know that it needs to be looked at and 2) get the water out so it isn't sitting for months....

In the spring I tank the motors and run a bit of engine cleaner through them (Merc powertune or similar) just to help get rid of the fogging oil and any other gunk that may be in the cylinders).

Mine is but one method - I'm sure other have ways that are different but work just as well...

"

"Thanks,
That was the most in

"Thanks,
That was the most inteligent advise I've gotten so far. Other than this site, I've heard everything from doing nothing, to doing a complete overhaul every winter. I plan on doing the lower end this winter, maybe more, but this seems to be solid advise. Thanks again."

Back