Logo

Boat trailer question

bill_k

Regular Contributor
"I have a 19ft Bayliner open b

"I have a 19ft Bayliner open bow on a single axle trailer, the trailer needs new tires yet the trailer is only used twice a year to get the boat from the house to the marina. So my question is would a regular car tire work on a single axle trailer with the weight of the boat for about 15 miles under 50mph.. or am I asking for problems

Thanks in Advance.."

I would replace the tires with

I would replace the tires with the same spec tires that are on the trailer. The problem with car tires is they have a lot lower load range as a trade off for ride comfort. The weight on a car is distributed 4x where your trailer is only distibuting the weight 2x. I have a 18' Bayliner from the 70's and it weighs 2200lbs plus the weight of the trailer an extra 1000lbs that's 1600lbs per tire. Most car tires in the 13" -14" are only rated between 1000 and 1200lbs each.

"it's about 50/50 Chance t

"it's about 50/50 Chance that the tires will hold,
I can understand how tires can be costly for such little use, a while back I purchased a 18'
bayliner capri on a single axel trailer that has not been moved in 3 years the seller forgot to mention this fact,anyway one tire was flat and both were dry rotted, the boat was 50 miles away so I had 2 choise to make, leave the boat and come back with new tires or simply air up the flat one and head on home with the boat, of course
I chose option -B- the 50/50 chance and luck was on my side that day, I made it home about 2 hours later
crazy.gif
.. only travel about 35 mph.
I'm not saying this is right thing to do,,,
Good tires are always a must, especially if you have the time to plan ahead to get some.
and I think with a good load rated car tire will be good for 15 miles."

"Bill, I think you are asking

"Bill, I think you are asking for problems. The savings you will obtain by buying two car rated tires instead of tires with adequate load range for a trailer are minimal and do not offset the risks you would be taking. The way I see it, if you buy now the correct tires, you probably will not have to buy another set ever for your current trailer and you will have peace of mind in exchange of paying a few more bucks.
2_cents.gif
"

"Absolutely match the specifie

"Absolutely match the specified size and load range(C or D I would imagine). However, since trailer tires are typically bias ply rather than belted radials as on a car, and they don't need balancing, you should pay no more and usually less for trailer tires."

well after reading everyones p

well after reading everyones posts I think I will just spend the extra money and get the right trailer tires for the trailer and have the peace of mind of being safe.. Thanks to all that posted and Happy Boating..

Back