Logo

I think my boat has too much prop

aquakenbush

Contributing Member
Apart from my other issues I a

Apart from my other issues I am having I think my boat has too much prop.

It takes at least 10 seconds maybe more to get it up on plane.

I have twin VP 432A (4.3L Chevys) with VP 290sp-c outdrives.

The props are 15x19 and seem like too much for a decent hole shot. I dont much care about top speed but would like to see her get out of the water a little faster and stay out at a lower RPM.

I havent been able to run it at WOT yet as I am having a high end miss in the starboard engine but it just seems to labor a lot to get it up on plane.

I know running it at WOT is the only way to really check to see if the props keep the engines in the right RPM range but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for better hole shot and lower rev consistent plane.

My boat is a 27' LOA express cruiser which I would say is fairly loaded.

It is a miracle to me that a b

It is a miracle to me that a boat that size will plane with 2 4.3l in the first place. You may wish to try 15x17 or 15x15. Many prop shops will let you try out a prop if you don't bang it up. Also try moving as much of the stored item on the boat to the front as possible.

"That's plenty of power fo

"That's plenty of power for a boat that size. Two 4.3s are stronger than one 5.7 V-8, and there's a zillion of those out there.

I'd say you need a tune up. That "high speed miss" of yours isn't just occurring at high speed. Start by puttin gnew plugs, and taking a relly good look at the color (and location) of the old ones as they come out.

Jeff"

Plugs changed and they seem we

Plugs changed and they seem wet and black and smell a bit gasy (not super gasy) the boat takes a good 10ish seconds to get up on plane and I have to trim the bow way down to get it up on plane. Once its up it moves pretty good. Seems to go about 25-27 mph at around 3400RPM. I would rather it got out of the water a bit faster as top speed is not really a priority for me.

Back