Logo

1985 Evinrude 90VRO Tach Problem

ken

" I have a 1985 90 VRO with an

" I have a 1985 90 VRO with an OMC(lcd)Tach, when I crank to start the tach will read but when the motor runs all I get is "000", any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ken "

"Ken.... With the engine NOT r

"Ken.... With the engine NOT running, with the ignition key in the RUN position (Not Start Position), check to see if you have 12 volts being applied to the tachometer power supply wire (usually purple).

It's possible that you have the tachometer 12 volt power supply wire attached to the "S" (solenoid) terminal at the ignition switch instead of the "A" (accessory) terminal where it belongs.

Joe
"

" Joereeves, I'll give it

" Joereeves, I'll give it a check but just to let you know I've had the boat 6 years and everything was fine until last week. Would that sound right to you? I mean work for that long of a time period on the "S" terminal? Thanks, ken "

"Ken.... With that bit of adde

"Ken.... With that bit of added information, I would suspect that the tachometer itself is faulty. I assume this engine incorporates the small three (3) wire type rectifier, and if so, the tachometer would be suspect.

However, should a water cooled regulator/rectifier type rectifier assy be incorporated, the usualy cause of an intermitent tach would be this water cooled unit.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back