Logo

91b 40hp wont start

bjen91

"guy i bought it from says it

"guy i bought it from says it runs at 2000rpm and up but not below. i took the carbs apart cleaned them, new gaskets, there is gas leaking from the bottom carb(but only after trying to start). compression good, new gas, new oil, new plugs. need help thanks"

"Yes, a guy told me something

"Yes, a guy told me something once too...

Not trying to be funny just trying to say the history of this motor is dubious at best.

Start with the basics - check the compression and check for spark. New plugs won't help if you have a bad coil etc and she won't run well with a blown gasket...

Cleaning the carbs is a good start, but may need a rebuild - did you inspect the jets closely? A damaged low speed jet(s) "could" account for the problem below 2000 rpm. The leak could be a stuck float.

It sounds like you are on the right track - just have to really step back an extra couple steps and give the motor a complete going over...."

i bought two new rebuild kits

i bought two new rebuild kits and changed everything over. i still get a leak from the shaft that the butterflys open and close. i feel i am running out of options here.

It seems very odd that you wou

It seems very odd that you would have gas leaking out from the throttle shaft. There should be no pressure at the carb at that point - the engine is sucking the gas in.

I'm at a loss at this point as to what to suggest - because you certainly don't want to "replace" a carb - just not economically viable.

Perhaps you can search out JB on here and he can advise....

if gas is leaking with engine

if gas is leaking with engine off then the carbs still need work. if gas is leaking (spitting out of carb) with engine running then it sounds like a read valve problem

"yeah, thats what i unfortunat

"yeah, thats what i unfortunatly found out. the reeds have to be my problem, i do not have the knowlege or the time to tear my motor apart though, so i have to take it in. thanks guys for your help though!!!"

Back