Logo

Please Help with Beeping Diagnosis

crusty

"I have a 02 Volvo Penta 4.3 G

"I have a 02 Volvo Penta 4.3 GL-A. After Running at Wide open for a 30-90 sec I would get the Warning Beeping. I assumed it was the Impeller, so I checked it and there was a tooth sheered off and clogging the inlet a bit. I cleared it out and replaced the impeller. At the same time I Changed my oil (Volvo Syn.30), oil filter, and fuel filter.

It is still still beeping after a top speed pass of 30-90 sec. but if I let off throttle to a stop, the bepping will stop after 5-15 sec.

Here is what my gages are reading at top speed.
Water Temp = 175-185
Oil Pressure = 55-60psi
RPM = 4600-4700

Any suggestions...........
Are there exhaust sensors on here that I can check?"

"Your engine has an acoustic a

"Your engine has an acoustic alarm for low oil pressure and high coolant temperature. If your engine is raw water cooled, you will have installed a either 140º or more commonly a 160º thermostat, so 175º-185º water temp will be on the high side.

Was the water temp 175-185º from day one or just started recently?"

"I remember it being around 15

"I remember it being around 150-170 but at full speed it might have been 185. Before I changed the Impeller, last week it was more like 200 deg."

"You may want to check if both

"You may want to check if both exhaust manifols are equally hot (or cold), as you may have one piece of impeller blade stuck somewhere in the cooling system. Also, 40-60 psi is the normal oil pressure range."

Could the Thermostat be causin

Could the Thermostat be causing any of this? Possibly by not opening enough?

I pulled the main hoses and did not find any more impeller chunks. If I am going to pull the thermostat housing I might as well change the thermostat. I did notice some corrosion while the hoses were off.

Also the impeller chunk I pulled from the impeller housing matched the section missing from the impeller. It was basically 1/2 a blade.

"I pulled the thermostat, it d

"I pulled the thermostat, it didn't look bad but I replaced it anyway. I also pulled all the hoses and found no additional debris.

I also pulled the impeller again just incase the new one failed. It was good.

I am thinking I have a faulty sensor.
Is there a way I can test this?"

An infrared thermometer will t

An infrared thermometer will tell you if you have high temperature in the exhaust or in the cooling system.

Sorry to keep bothering you bu

Sorry to keep bothering you but if you have a break down of how to test this I would appreciate it.

"Again, get an infrared laser

"Again, get an infrared laser thermometer and use it on the exhaust. I am not sure about what the rating for the overheating sensor is on the exhaust, but as a rule you should be able to touch the exhaust pipe and it should not feel so hot that you would burn your hand.

The exhaust temperature sensors are not too expensive ($17 each). You can consider replacing them if you think that they are faulty, but I suggest you first verify that the high temperature alarm is not for real.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Engine_Harness_and_Sensors/dm/store_id.366--sessi on_id.150225993--cart_id.090377744--category_id.332249--list_time.1181766457--vi ew_id.316091"

Back