Logo

Steering Vovlo Sunrunner 20b

wlatour

I have a 20' sunrunner and

I have a 20' sunrunner and just placed the boat in water for the first time yesterday and the boat ran perfect. The question I have is the steering is wandering all over the place. I have to correct it all the time and the boat wanders back and forth at low speeds. Thanks Warren

"Warren, what you describe is

"Warren, what you describe is not uncommon on I/Os when going at low speeds. When I had my 17.5' boat, the boat was all over the place when not on the plane, and that used to drive me nuts. I found the steering arm a bit loose, so I tightened it but the symptoms were still there (though not as severe). Changed the steering cable and helm and still the same. At the end, I found that this is a very common issue in I/Os (not just VP, but Mercruisers and others do it as well) due to high propeller side torque and steering cable play (even with a new cable), and just learned how to live with it. You, too, will get used to it and will instinctively turn the helm to the opposite side when you feel that the boat is about to go towards one side.

On another note, I don't have this problem with my "new to me" 22' boat despite having a 280 outdrive. The differences are that this one has hydraulic steering instead of cable, and that it is a heavier, longer boat."

Back