Logo

Mariner 40E What year

bj_christ

"We've got a Mariner model

"We've got a Mariner model "40E",serial number 6E9 L 413086,"made in Japan". Any idea what year-model?

Is this another made-by-Yamaha-to-Mercury-specs engine and would a Mercury dealer be my best source for parts or is there a better source?

Does anyone know where a person could obtain a copy of the owners manual for this particular model?

Also,If it was going to be a month or more before a person could run their motor again should he disconnect the fuel line and run the motor out of gas before he stores it? (two cycle) I recently bought a two-cycle chain saw and the salesman/mechanic recommended that I run it out of fuel before I store it for more than a month so that the old fuel won't gum up the carburetor,etc. Is this reccommended for two-cycle boat motors too?
Thanks! Brian"

"It looks like you have a 1984

"It looks like you have a 1984 model.

Their serial numbers got a little confusing between 82 and 84 with them tripping over each other a bit depending whether they were electric start or not.

Yes, this is a completely Yamaha built motor (to Merc specs). But parts must be obtained from Merc. This really doesn't resemble a Yamaha in many ways.

If you are going to store it for a period, I would add some "fuel stablizer" to it the last time out (or run it tanked for a while). This will allow it to get through the system and prevent it from "gumming up" on you.

I wouldn't normally run it out of fuel. Unless you actually pull the carb and drain it, you can't get it all out.

At the end of the season, I just shut mine down after being stablized - fog the cylinders and store them up-right...."

Back