Logo

Boat Size vs Motor HP

ko4nrbs

Regular Contributor
How large a boat would a 7.5 H

How large a boat would a 7.5 HP motor handle. I have a 16 foot vee bottom now.
Bill

"It really all depends on how

"It really all depends on how fast you want to go. My opinion would be a 15 to 25hp to really make you happy, but I would recommend a 9.9. A 7.5 will work, but you won't go fast, and if you run it at full throttle often it won't last you long."

"Thats an intresting point, ar

"Thats an intresting point, are 2 stokes made to run wide open? I have heard that 2 stroke dirt bikes are made to run that way, but I don't have any experience with these motors, so I was curious?"

"No, Brett, you are right - th

"No, Brett, you are right - the small outboards "are" designed to run at WOT. That's where they produce their maximum horsepower and get the best fuel economy - additionally, that keeps them running (cleaner) so they don't gunk/carbon up on you.

I run a 15 on a 14' deep-v, full console, with normally two on board. Was running a 9.9 until the addition of the console (95 extra pounds) and then found it struggled a little.

I do agree though that something in the 15 to 25 hp range would probably suit you better. I think you would have trouble keeping it on plane (except maybe on a very calm, windlass day) with a 7.5 or 9.9..."

"You guys sure run small motor

"You guys sure run small motors, I have a 14.5 with a 70hp on it"

"Brett, if you are getting the

"Brett, if you are getting the 7.5 for nothing, you could give it a try. I assume your 16 footer is aluminum (?). My 14 is aluminum, and it's dry weight is about 225lbs - tack on 75lbs for the motor (standard weight for a 7.5/9.8/9.9/15), another 35lbs for the small marine battery I use to power the nav lights, fish finder etc, I estimate maybe another 30lbs or so for gear (anchor, assorted junk).

With a tank of gas, that's about 400lbs before I load a passenger. Now with just myself the boat would "fly" pretty good (total weight, almost 600) when I had the 9.9 on the back.

With another adult, it would still plane out pretty good - but add even two kids and she was labouring. That would have pushed the total weight up to maybe 850lbs.

However, depending what you are using it for - and how fast you want to get there - the 7.5 may do it for you. I also have a 2.5hp Ev on the back I use for trolling and it will push it along at about 4-5 mph....

(now a 70hp - think if I cranked that up on my boat, my transom would get close and personal with the bow)......"

"That should push you along qu

"That should push you along quite well

(maybe you try a 95hp....)"

I acctually only have about 90

I acctually only have about 900 dollars canadian into it. But i know what you meen about boating for cheap i used to run a 10 glass boat i got for free with an 80' 9.9 i got 40 bucks. Worked great was a whole lot of fun.

Back