Logo

125 HP Mercury Offshore Starting problems Please Help

scott

Contributing Member
"I have a 1998 125 HP Mercury

"I have a 1998 125 HP Mercury Offshore Outboard Motor. The motor starts up fine after a good pumping of the primer bulb and a choke. The problem is that when I go out fishing, throughout the day, it never is "easy" to start up.
I used to own a 90 HP Yamaha. Once I got it started the first time, the rest of the day, it would start right up at a simple turn of the key.

With this Mercury, I have to go through all of my "beginning of the day steps" just to get it started. Every time I start it, I have to pump the primer bulb and choke it.

A couple of months ago, I took it to my mechanic. They said everything looked ok, but they went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and the primer bulb. This seemed to help for a little while. But, now it is worse than ever.

Does anyone else out there have this problem or know any solutions?

Thanks.

Scott < Fort Myers, FL"

" Sounds like you have either

" Sounds like you have either fouled carbs, a leaking fuel line, or a leaking fuel pump. The bulb should stay primed after the first startup. Check the above mentioned areas and let us know. I have an old 150 and use it almost every weekend. Hard to start cold, but runs like mad after.
Good luck and have fun on the water. "

Back