Logo

1957 Evinrude 18 Hp fastwin

kenskip1

"Hello fellow mariners. My que

"Hello fellow mariners. My question is,when my motor is in the tank, it runs well but it seems to stop pumping for a seckond or to. If I rev it up a bit it pumps well. I have replaced the water pump, housing,gromet,and the base plate.All apears normal but the sides of the block are exceptionally hot.The temperature of the outcoming water matches the side of the block. I sould mention that I put a carb kit into it and it runs well, but if I open the couling, the rpm will raise. Seams as if it is running rich or not getting enough air with the cowling closed.Compression on both cylinders is 160-165lbs I have this motor in a tank and am feeding it 87 outane. Any suggestions the motor is a 1957 Evinrude 18 hp fastwin.Ken 25/1 oil mixture"

It is running with too much ex

It is running with too much exhaust getting back into the intake.The waterpump impeller was original factory or aftermarket?.Did you measure clearance between pump housing and impeller?

"Bill, that motor was essentia

"Bill, that motor was essentially the same for the next 20 years and most good dealers have the parts.If you are told can't get parts for that motor you should hurry to another dealer."

"Not a student, Sorry to say b

"Not a student, Sorry to say but I was unaware that I had to measure it.
Bill Smith, I have a friend that is able to get me anything that I will ever need.
Tom Barker, Yes it has a eletric starter. Complete with wiring harnass. I have never used it, but the starter itself looks fine. I also have a set of remote control cables. All I need now is a boat! Ken"

If you have a used housing and

If you have a used housing and a new impeller you may have too much clearance and the pump will not perform.I have also found that aftermarket impellers are not made to stringent standards and have been too thin as well.If you have 40 years experience it all becomes easy.

Back