Logo

Going to Buy a Used Honda Outboard

randall_b

"Guy's any advice on what

"Guy's any advice on what to look for on a used Honda 7.5 Hp 4 Stroke Outboard. I am meeting a guy this evening to possibly buy. How do I tell what Model year it is? He is "Guessing 80's to early 90's? I would like to be able to tell. It looks like the blue motor with the white top I see on the honda site as a BF75. I have never owned a four stroke before so any advice appreciate.
Thanks,
Randall"

"I have that same motor, it ra

"I have that same motor, it ran great for a year and a half but I have been experienceing problems this last year. One thing I do know is that you have to keep the fuel clean, I dump mine monthly to ensure there is no water or build up. Other than that I am not an expert. They burn very little fuel and it use to start on the first pull."

"I bought the motor. it sounds

"I bought the motor. it sounds great and started on the first pull, the model number on the frame is BF75S-1702539. If any one knows what year this would be and what i need to do to maintain it would be appreciated."

"I looked and could not find t

"I looked and could not find the number. I just had cataract surgery so my vision is not as clear close up as it should be. Where on the Carb would the number be located? Also, my 72 year old father will be using this motor and has a detached bicep. Would it be possible to convert this motor to electric start?"

"Call Honda (770-497-6400&

"Call Honda (770-497-6400) and give them the model number. They will tell you model year and anything else you want to know about it. You can then download the owners manual from their website (www.honda-marine.com)."

"Hi,I have a bf100 outboard an

"Hi,I have a bf100 outboard and want to use remote cables. I have a single leaver throttle. when i press the leaver foward the cable extends to put outboard foward in gearthats fine.but the throttle goes foward also. the throttle needs to go backwards. can anyone help thanks"

Have a honda BF-75 1985 the oi

Have a honda BF-75 1985 the oil light stays on at idel but when you increes the rpm's the light gose out. Has anyone had this problem? Ran the engine for about 15 minuts with no overheating.

The light should be on all the

The light should be on all the time.You really need to have this checked out before you ruin the motor.Oil is the proper kind and the level checked???

Do you know what the oil preas

Do you know what the oil preasure should read? I was thinking of hooking up a live line guage to check it. The guy told me the motor sat for three years also. I guess the screen could be cloged up in the oil well. I just thought it was weird that it would go out as you reved it up. That normaly increeses oil preasure when you do that.

that screen is under the power

that screen is under the powerhead
you will need to pull the powwer head off the midsection to clean the screen
no specs on pressure

I was afraid of that. I did ho

I was afraid of that. I did hook up a oil pressure guage and it reads 28 pounds at idell and 45 at full throttle or close to it. I would think that is ok but who knows?

I just changed the oil before

I just changed the oil before I did the live line guage check and cleaned out the electric switch with no change. Light still on at idel but out when reved up. Could be a faulty switch seeing the pressure guage showed an increase of preasure when the engine was reved up of about 15 pounds. I did call a local marine repair place and they said as low as 15lbs would be ok at idel and 35 to 40 at higher rpms.

"I dropped my Honda BF75 outbo

"I dropped my Honda BF75 outboard and snapped the steering arm, which my local dealer tells me can't be replaced. There are holes with rubber plugs in the housing for a remote control system for throttle and gears - can anyone tell me where I would find the remote controller, and how difficult it would be to set up? My sailboat had a Yamaha 9.9 originally, and the remote controller with cables and levers for that is still mounted in the cockpit; perhaps I can attach that to the Honda somehow?"

I had that problem once when I

I had that problem once when I drained the oil in 2 90 Hondas but forgot to put oil back in. Maybe there is pressure in front of a clogged filter but none after???

"Are you referring to install

"Are you referring to install of your cam drive belt?

If so, you have the 'T' mark on flywheel aligned with the mark on top of aft starter mounting lug and the cam pully punch mark with the punch mark on engine head. Use caution as the valves can be bent if they contact the piston.

For ignition timing, after belt is installed; rotate flywheel one complete turn and align the 'F' mark and then slide the pulsar coil so that its mark aligns with the one on the cam. If you have breaker points instead of CDI, they should just start to open at that point (15° BTDC).

(Don't know if it matters, but I have the cam on its mark where both valves on lower cylinder are 'rocking' and top two are closed or #1 cylinder on firing stroke.)"

"Your motor is 1985. Your mod

"Your motor is 1985. Your model is BF75F

The oil pressure switch should be putting out a ground when the engine is running. Just put an ohm meter on it and watch it while it is running. If the ground stays there, it could be the light. If the ground goes away and your oil pressure is good, replace the switch."

"charlie mercer...it would pro

"charlie mercer...it would probably be better to start a new post on your shifter issue.

Make sure you say what brand shifter you have and if the BF100 already has the cable brackets, etc on it for remote operation."

"Thanks pilotart, So the T to

"Thanks pilotart, So the T to line up punch on lug and at same time with punch marks on cam pulley, ( I have not removed the flywheel). I have taken the cam belt off because the cam pulley is very wobbly (apparently common problem), needs to be replaced. Where can one get a very cheap cam pulley brand new or secondhand. They appear to be very expensive? Almost the price of the motor. Would I know if I bent valves as i have had a bit of a play, although she now runs ok?"

"You need to remove the recoil

"You need to remove the recoil starter to see the mark to align the "T" on the flywheel.

Punch mark to align the cam with is slightly to starboard of engine centerline in the head.

A compression test would confirm good valves.

New Cam Pully is $122 from here:

[url=""]http://www.boats.net/parts/...JPN, VIN# B100S-1600001/CAM PULLEY/parts.html[/url]

You could check eBay for sellers that part out old engines for a used one."

Back