Logo

Please help I used to love this motor but for the last year it has been intermittent in how it runs What I mean is it can go from running normal to

T

Tom Spidel

Please help! I use to love th

Please help! I use to love this motor but for the last year it has been intermittent in how it runs. What I mean is it can go from running normal to sluggish/low power while in gear. When I put it in neutral it runs fine but when I put it back into gear it acts as if it is running to rich and bogs down with less power. Sometimes it will stutter a couple of times then go back to running normal and vise versa. Additionally when it is running rough it is difficult to keep it idling without it stalling out. Any ideas?

I did find that I have a small water leak coming from the tube at the base of the motor that goes into the lower shaft/unit. The water is warm so I am assuming it is discharge water that has gone through the engine.

"What motor do you have???? Mo

"What motor do you have???? More than one cylinder , then try new sparkplugs.Water in the fuel?? Try draining the carburetor with the little valve on the bottom of carburetor ( if so equipped)."

"It is a 7.5 horse 4 stroke, 2

"It is a 7.5 horse 4 stroke, 2 spark plugs. For some reason my title did not make the origional post. I have taken the carberator off lots of times to clean it, do you think the float could cause this? Is it possible that both spark plugs are not fireing?"

"sure it is possible to have a

"sure it is possible to have a bad plug.You also may need to check valve clearance , it is often overlooked and simple to do.If you have looked at the carburetor over and over than obviousle the problem is somewhere else."

"Question on the carb? The flo

"Question on the carb? The float seems to be held in place with a single pin but there is nothing keeping the pin in place other than pressure. I pushed it out last night and sprayed carburetor cleaner through the port where the needle valve is positioned underneath the float. Is the correct set up or is something missing?

Could the valve clearance be an issue if it is intermittent, this is what baffles me. Some times the motor works perfectly and other times (now) it runs rough. Sometimes when it is running rough, it will surge trying to get back to normal and it may or may not. Now more often not is the case rather than to run normally."

"Rodger That, I planed on buyi

"Rodger That, I planed on buying one next week."

"Could be a vacuum leak around

"Could be a vacuum leak around the intake manifold or the carb gaskets.

Also, does the engine run better with the cowling off? On a lot of older Hondas the exhaust pipe (you can see it below the bottom cylinder) will corrode and develop holes or cracks. This allows exhaust to leak into the cowling and robs the engine of oxygen. If the engine runs good with the cowling off, this is definitely your problem.

Lastely, you should do a compression check, followed by a leakdown test. If you don't have the tools to do this, you may want to find someone who does."

"It dosent make a difference w

"It dosent make a difference with the cowling off, as a matter of fact the engine will not start anymore. I am planning on replaceing the spark plugs, and I have taken the carberator off and am seeking to find a rebuild kit. I will post the SN of the carb tomorrow. Does anyone have a reccomendation on where to look for parts and a manual? I did notice when the engine was running the discharge tube at the base of the power head was leaking warm water, there is a small hole in the tube."

CHECK GAP ON THE PLUGS I HAD A

CHECK GAP ON THE PLUGS I HAD A 8HP. THE GAG WAS OUT BY 5THO AND WOULD RUN OK FOR A SHORT TIME THEN STALL AND WOULD NOT START PLUGS WOULD BE FOULED FINELY CHECKED GAP WHAT A DIFFERENCE. GOOD LOCK.

Back