Logo

Cat vs Detroit

aionescu

"In the market for an upgrade

"In the market for an upgrade and I found two of the same make of boat, however one has Detroit 6V53's (2000+hrs) and the other has Cat 3208's (1500+ hrs)and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which one would be a wiser choice. Im new to the diesel world, my current boat which I am upgrading out of is Petrol.
thanks"

"3208 Cats if under 375 hp wou

"3208 Cats if under 375 hp would be my choice. These things are like a light bulb, you turn em on and you turn em off. Also smooth as silk at idle."

"...and like a light bulb they

"...and like a light bulb they are dead-for-good when they blow. Cat blocks are throw-aways. If it dies on you, you are in the hole for 12k plus installation labor. I would definetly have an engine survey done on the Cat and use the findings as a bargaining tool.

Or, if you like to work on engines yourself, give the seller of the Detroit boat a heartbreaking story about old, noisy, and oily Detroits and then enjoy the most affordable diesel boating you will ever find. (BTW: what is the hp of the Detroit?)"

Actually the engine I am looki

Actually the engine I am looking at now is a 450hp 671. More reliable engine and in better shape. Good to know about the cats though - thanks!

Back