Logo

AQ131C275 Solex 44 carburetor backfire

J

Jason G

"First of all thanks to all wh

"First of all thanks to all who post here. I have solved many of my problems before even posting here simply by searching the forumn. I have a 1987 Baretta powered by the Volvo aq131c/ 275 drive. I couldn't start my boat when I 'summerized' it. After looking in this post I discovered the gasket in my distributor cap was missing (or deteriorated) and had to clean the rotor and cap contacts to get spark. Once done I still couldn't start after pumping my throttle several times. I could squirt gas into the carb and she would fire right up and idle perfect after warming up. It backfired once after spraying gas in the carb, but at the end of last season it was backfiring more frequent when on the lake full throttle and then letting off the throttle. I discovered that the push rod (no. 40) in the below diagram was no longer attached to the lever due to a busted fork. This explains why pumping didn't put gas into the carb to start.

diagram link: (this is the closest I could find to my carb with short notice, lol)

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CARBURETOR_855637/dm/store_id.366--session_id.978 _970620--cart_id.010876839--category_id.332883--list_time.1179637904--view_id.32 4_034

My question is, would this cause the backfiring? It only seemed to backfire when I let off from full throttle to neutral (when on the lake). It only backfired that once with the mickey mouse ears attached. Just wondering if maybe the carb was starved for gas when I did this and caused backfiring. Any ideas? Thanks guys."

"That rod controls the acc pum

"That rod controls the acc pump. Without it working, the boat should be very hard to start cold and should "backfire" under accel. The backfire you are having is a lean situation. Fix the rod and the probs should go away."

"Thanks Boat doc. I'll tr

"Thanks Boat doc. I'll try and see if I can find the replacement parts and change it asap. I figured that was the problem, but it's always nice to be reassured
biggrin.gif
"

Back