Logo

Montgomery wards outboard info

gen3

"need info on a wards boatmoto

"need info on a wards boatmotor has black plastic cover with solid state ignition decal- model #60r28927 sn 461378
oil to gas ratio ,manual source, plug # and other helpfull info."

i just found a photo of an esk

i just found a photo of an eska 1707b 7 hp the controls are identical and looks the same with cover off but my cover is black.

"I have some very extensive li

"I have some very extensive lists of wards model numbers going back to the 1930's, and what you have posted as a model number doesn't resemble, at all, the Ward (style).

The very early ones were 4 digits and later models either started with 2 or 3 letters, such as GG or VWB.

So I am not quite sure what you have there..."

"i have a sea king the mod # i

"i have a sea king the mod # is vwb 27406 serial # is 37x21574 please tell me what year and where to get parts, such as points and impeller. thanks larry"

WAS TOLD VJ 10 Y WAS ACTUALLY

WAS TOLD VJ 10 Y WAS ACTUALLY UV THE PLUG NOT MADE ANYMORE BUT THE REPLACEMENT WAS A UJ12-Y A LITTLE HOTTER MOTOR STARTS EASY RUNS WIDE OPEN EVEN COLD-WE ALSO WERE A LITTLE HEAVY ON THE OIL TO GAS MIX.
NOW IF YOU COULD TELL ME HOW TO STRECH THE SHAFT ABOUT 3 OR 4 INCHES.LOL
WOULD LIKE TO FIND A MOTOR WITH A LITTLE MORE
HP RUN IT ON SEARS GAMEFISHER 12 FT.
A LITTLE SLOW COMING OFF THE WATER WHEN WIND KICKS UP WHAT IS BEST SIZE FOR THIS BOAT WITH 3 GUYS IN IT

"Figuring the weight of the bo

"Figuring the weight of the boat, 3 guys, gear and the outboard itself, you have be looking at what 850lbs or a touch more.

I would be looking at a minimum of a 9.5/9.8/9.9/10 (any of the about 10 horse) and quite possibly a 15 if the boat is rated for it...

I just replaced the 9.9 on my 14 deep V utility with a 15 because while it worked great with 2 in the boat, just one more guy and bit more gear and it was tough to keep it up on plane except in the calmest of conditions..."

"I just bought a boat with an

"I just bought a boat with an old Montgomery Wards 7.5hp , and need help starting it. the man I got it from never used it and didn't know how it started,I have checked with local marine dealers and none of them want to look at it, or give me info on starting . I can' figure out what some knobs are for or what to set them at .one knod is for the carb. jet, one knob is rich or lean gas ,one is the choke , and there is one black knob on the side of engine, I have no idea what it is used for ,, can you tell me the procedure for starting this engine"

on mine the knob on the side i

on mine the knob on the side is the gear shift .
while mine has been started in gear when hot and just died if cold must be in neutral-there is no reverse. graham can probably tell you a lot more but he will need the info off of the motor serial# model etc there is also a tag on the motor(take cover off) that has info too. rich and lean has to do with motor idle .isuppose this ajustment would transfer to other motor speeds also.
with out the correct oil to gas ratio motor will fail -with out correct spark plug starting is hard- may need to service lower unit also and if it was stored with gas in tank for very long you have a lot of work to do.

"I am sorry ,, there are two k

"I am sorry ,, there are two knobs on the side ,,one is the gear shift ,and the round black knob I have no idea ,a friend thought it might be to turn the gas on , it is like a on & off knob"

"Hello I have a Ward's Sea

"Hello I have a Ward's Sea King motor model # VWB-27406 and I am looking for parts.. I need some seals and fuel line couplers, PLEASE help!"

"Chad, that model was built by

"Chad, that model was built by Chrysler for Montgomery Wards. That is a 1973 "Deluxe" model, twin cylinder, 6 horse.

This site has some parts, but not sure Andrew has what you are after. You could try www.discount-marine-parts.com they used to be a Chrysler dealer and still have extensive stock.."

"i have a monkey ward 15 made

"i have a monkey ward 15 made buy crysler. runs good and then it wont, hard to start and last time lost power. also need to know the fuel mix."

"The fuel mix is 50/1. You sou

"The fuel mix is 50/1. You sound like the carb has some free floating gunk in it and is occasionally blocking the main jet.

Would do a compression test first then look into the carb. Put your timing light on each plug wire and look for intermittent failures. Points set to .020 flywheel comes off with a support wedge and a thread protector for a gentle smack with big hammer. (you are only shaking it, not prying it off.)

Do the water pump."

"thanks ill look into that. do

"thanks ill look into that. do u know where i can buy a water pump for one, not havin much luke on this one or my sears 14 with a lower unit out."

That water pump fit many model

That water pump fit many models and would go shopping on-line for Chrysler parts and there are several posts on this sit giving web sites for Chrysler parts. Your 15 shared many parts with the 9.9 Both low profile fisher motors.

Who made your 14hp? Sound like a changed "something or other" to keep out of trouble with other deals going with wards or firestone.

"I just came upon a 3hp Monkey

"I just came upon a 3hp Monkey Ward Sea King outboard motor which has been sitting for quite some time indoors. Any ideas on whether it would be worth putting the effort into restoring this? I'll try and get the model & serial numbers on my next post.
286106.jpg
Sea King 3HP

i have a montgomery ward sea k

i have a montgomery ward sea king serial #3435.any one know what year this is? is there anywhere to get restoration parts ? decals ect

bill your motor is a 7hp made

bill your motor is a 7hp made by Eska in 69. Jerry do you have a model number? Is the serial number preceded by a W? The 3435 as a serial number could lead to a 37' model year made by Evinrude. Do you have a picture of it?

Can any one out there help me

Can any one out there help me find out what year sea king5 i have modle#G8960A thanks for any info

Steve it's a 1957 made by

Steve it's a 1957 made by Gale. Uses Champion J6J plug at .030. Could also use J4J if plugs are fouling. 1/2 pint oil per gallon of non-oxygenated gas unless you have a brass or plastic float.

Back