Logo

Wont start after getting into the water

adobe118

"I have a Bayliner Capri with

"I have a Bayliner Capri with a 1987 Force 85hp outboard motor. The problem that i have is that the motor will start just fine on dry land and the first few times in the water. But, after about 20-30 minutes of running around and shutting off the motor it will not fire up again. I can hear the choke click but the starter will not spin-up or engage. I tried replacing the starter solenoid but that has not fixed the problem. The only way i have been able to get it started is by bypassing the solenoid and connecting the battery directly to the starter and then it will fire up just fine. Anybody have any ideas of what’s wrong? Thanks."

"If you bypass the starter sol

"If you bypass the starter solenoid and it cranks, the problem is either the solenoid ground, or the solenoid not getting 12V from the ignition switch in the start position. This of course doesn't consider a bad solenoid, because you replaced it. Connect a jumper wire to the battery terminal side of the solenoid, and touch it to the small solenoid terminal, if it doesn't crank you most likely have a bad ground. If it does, look into your ignition switch wiring."

Bill is right check your posit

Bill is right check your positive and ground connections first... also if this boat is equipped with a kill switch/lanyard their might be an intermittent short with that circuit.

Back