Logo

Pertronix installation into aq151c help

akdperry

"i bought a pertronix electron

"i bought a pertronix electronic ignition for my aq151c and was wondering if anyone had tips on installation. since i don't think i have a ballast resistor (bosch coil replaced with no resistor required coil) , i assume i bypass the old condesor/remove it and run right to the coil. +to+, -to-. just making sure, i only have a partial set of directions and don't want to mess up my ignition."

"1) remove points and cond

"1) remove points and condenser, and also the wire between coil and points.

2) Install the Pertronix module and sleeve. Make sure there is 0.030" air gap between both.

3) Red from the module to + of the coil; black to (-).

You are done. Start the engine, set the ignition timing, and enjoy.
biggrin.gif
"

"El, just out of curiosity, ho

"El, just out of curiosity, how important is the accuracy of the air gap size between the module and the sleeve, and why? Thanks!"

"Bob, the rotating sleeve cont

"Bob, the rotating sleeve contains cobalt magnets, and each of them "closes" the electronic switch in the module (Hall Effect integrated circuit) everytime it passes in front of it. Varying the gap varies the dwell angle, and it seems that the Pertronix fellows have decided that with a 0.030" gap you keep the specified 62º+3 dwell.

Here is more about this if you are interested (though related to VW).

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/PertronixAdjust.html"

"Pertronix is awesome!!!! Get

"Pertronix is awesome!!!! Get a coil too to be on the safe side. Flame thrower coils are great.....make sure it is epoxy filled. Cranked mine right up before i spun a bearing......ouch. workin on that. ha! \
Nothing like the electronic conversion kit tho. My boat hadn't been started in six years, and it fired right up.Way cool!!!!!}"

"El, thanks as always for your

"El, thanks as always for your excellent assistance...that link was very helpful and informative. I had no idea that the air gap was related to the dwell, but now it makes sense."

Back