Logo

Will not plane out Help

rdphillips

"I cannot get my 86 Bayliner A

"I cannot get my 86 Bayliner AQ125B to get over 3K RPM. It will reve up to 5-6K in nuetral but only gets to around 2800-3100 in gear. I changed props from what was on it when I got it 15x17 to 14x15 with the same exact results, maybe 100 RPM difference at most. It will never come up on plane at this speed."

"I would check that the distri

"I would check that the distributor is in good condition (springs intact, weights not seized); that all the spark plugs and wires are in good condition and the wires go to the right plugs (firing order: 1-3-4-2, distributor rotates clockwise); that the distributor rotor and cap, as well as the points and condenser are in good condition (I would skip the points and condenser issue if you have Pertronix electronic ignition installed
biggrin.gif
); and that the boat has not gained a huge lot of weight over the winter (foam waterlogged, etc). Also, I would make sure the gas has not gone bad during the winter and does not have water in it.

Also, check where the trim pin is installed in the transom shield. Usually it goes in the middle hole or in the hole closest to the transom. You may have difficulties to plane if the pin is in the hole farthest away from the transom."

"This may be a long shot, but

"This may be a long shot, but I would also check to be sure the carb butterfly is opening all the way at WOT. With the engine stopped, put the throttle all the way forward and then look inside the carb to be sure the butterfly is standing up straight. While my situation is different than yours due to the fact my engine has dual carbs, my engine would not get up to WOT RPMs on the water once due to my carb linkage being weak and not being able to engage the carb all the way. I did a light weld job on the weak area in the linkage and it has been perfect ever since."

"I had the same problem that y

"I had the same problem that you are describing. Unfortunatly for me, it turned ou thtat my engine was shot. I replaced it , and now everything is fine."

Back